Tuesday, May 11, 2010

First Time Bountiful Basket

I tried out the Bountiful Baskets program for the first time last Saturday. It's a food co-op where you pay, they buy a bunch of produce (as much locally as they can) and then split all the produce with all the people who payed into the co-op for that week. It's really a brilliant program. I paid in $27.00 total ($3.00 of that was because it was my first time, I won't pay that again) and got everything shown above. I love the variety and I love that it will force me to find new recipes to use all my tasty new items!

This is what I got out of my first basket:
  • 5 green peppers
  • 1 watermelon
  • 6 corn on the cob
  • 1 head of green leaf lettuce
  • 2 big bunches of spinach
  • 1 bunch of fresh parsley
  • 6 mangos
  • 1 broccoflower
  • 1 bunch of bananas (6)
  • 3 tomatoes
  • 10 tangerines
  • 1 bag of apples (10)
  • 1 bunch of fresh rosemary
  • 1 bunch of fresh thyme
  • 1 pk mushrooms
  • 1 head of garlic
  • 1 white onion
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 1 eggplant
  • 1 bunch of fresh oregano
Isn't that great? I love having all this fresh stuff on hand! The eggplant is the only thing I haven't tried before. I think I'm going to make eggplant parmesan because a lot of people seem to really like it and we might too. The kids have loved having all these new fruits at their disposal. I'm definitely going to have to do this program again. Probably in a couple of weeks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails